Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Probability: Sample Space


First day of probability!  We are starting with sample space: lists, tables, tree diagrams.  Last year I started with notes and told the kids step by step how to create an organized list or tree diagram to show the sample space.

This year we started with a problem:   a new store is releasing a new mp3 player that comes in 3 shapes, 3 colors, and 2 sizes.  I asked the students to tell me how many different mp3 players will need to be order and show me all the possibilities but didn’t give them any indication of how I wanted them to do this.  

Here are some of their answers:









Wow- I was impressed. Loved that I could see their thinking and that they were sharing strategies and ideas. Lesson learned.  I need to do a lot less teaching and a lot more listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment